1. Tell us about yourself. What is your background?
- Paul: I am Co-Founder of Talking Holistic, a Social Media Coaching and Training Consultancy which I run with my partner Cristina. I am originally from the North of England and live in London. We are based in Putney in South West London, the River Thames a just a few minutes’ walk away from us.
- Cristina: I am Talking Holistic’s other Co-Founder. I am originally from Valencia in Spain, but came to the UK in 1997 for an adventure (!) and have stayed here ever since!
- Paul: In 2012 we formed Talking Holistic, a Social Media Consultancy for Conscious, Therapy and Wellness Businesses which officially launched in February 2013.
2. You are the founders of Talking Holistic, how did you come up with an idea to start to coach social media to conscious, therapy and wellness businesses?
- Paul: I had always been interested in facilitating others to communicate their ideas through my work. Prior to working in social media I worked in Events Management and in a Business Development capacity for a Not For Profit organisation. I took a keen interest in social media about 5 years ago and blogs I published on social media gained interest from journalists in 2011. This led me to think that I could work in social media and I began to think about what I could do.
- Cristina: Before founding Talking Holistic, I worked as a Nurse and had worked in healthcare for over 10 years. I was also training to become a Holistic Practitioner. Paul and I talked about social media and we felt that our interests could combine in forming a holistic-minded Social Media Consultancy, as we realized that holistic-minded practitioners would benefit from tailored coaching support on social media.
- Paul: For over a year before launching Talking Holistic, we created and ran holistic and wellness focused social media profiles posting motivational and news posts. We trained professionally in social media marketing in London and began writing a series of feature articles on how holistic-minded practitioners and businesses use social media for Silent Voices Magazine, a holistic publication in the UK. This year of preparation and training gave us a very clear idea of how we could support and empower businesses through providing social media coaching and training services. With Talking Holistic, we wanted to support service-orientated practitioners and small businesses who support individuals or communities to make positive changes in their lives. This is why we decided to focus on being a niche Social Media Consultancy for Conscious, Therapy and Wellness businesses.
3. Who were your mentors were when you first got started on your path and who are your current mentors that you turn to for inspiration?
- Paul: When we had the idea for Talking Holistic in early 2012 we felt it was very important to receive objective and informed advice on what we wanted to do. We received really good mentorship advice through an Affordable Mentors scheme, run
by the Business and IP Centre at the British Library in London. We also attended the Business Show that year (the UK’s largest Business Show) which provided us with valuable information about starting a small business. We take a lot of inspiration from our community on social media. We chat with therapy and wellness business owners daily on our social networks, who are based all over the world. We learn so much from the people we talk to on social media. They are heart-centered small business owners who amaze and inspire us - they really guide us in our approach to our work as a Consultancy and in how we aim to support the community we serve.
4. If there were one thing you could tell people to try to do that would help them on their journey, what would it be?
- Cristina: If you have a dream for a business and would like to become an entrepreneur, just go ahead and do it! The road may not be easy but everything you learn is of such value, because you not only learn about the business on your journey, you also learn a lot about yourself. I learned that I had to feel comfortable being uncomfortable and that I had to be prepared to take a leap into the unknown. Looking back, I am glad I took the leap, even when others warned me against it. You can become who you want to be in life and follow your dreams!
5. Do you have a special affirmation or message that you would like to share with the readers?
- Paul: (For small business owners) Patience is one of the companions of success on social media.
- Cristina: Believe and trust that you can make it happen!
If you want to find out more about Talking Holistic, please visit:
Claim your free Social Media Strategy eBook: “7 Steps to Social Media Success – Inspired by Nature” http://www.talkingholistic.com/7-steps-ebook